Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Mind Blowing Experience NOT for the Physically Charged

For the longest time I thought intimacy was a dirty word!  It was something purely physical.  During my college years I learned that it was much more. I remember taking a mental health course my second year while at UVa.  One of the most interesting and profound bits of knowledge I learned was that "eating"  was the most intimate act between two people. 

It sounds rather odd, but think about it.  A mother shares food with her newborn by breastfeeding. A natural form of intimacy.  Families across the US come together for Thanksgiving every year for intimate family gatherings to give thanks but more importantly to eat together.  Those moments create intimate family memories that last a lifetime. However, these moments of intimacy require individuals to be giving, honest and receptive.  A connection is formed. 

Eating does not require taking your clothes off and neither does intimacy. Sounds deep?  Maybe.  Maybe not.

It's relational in nature but transparent by design.

So, now I'm NOT looking for the physically charged.  I am looking for the emotional connection to my soul.  I have this innate desire to receive emotional and intellectual stimulation often.  What I'm learning is that there is plenty opportunity for the physical but a shortage on the emotional. Why would I want physical engagement prior to emotional engagement.  That's not my flow and I'm good. I choose celibacy so the hunger for the emotional is quite intense.  (Pause: Yes, celibacy. I'm still human and female.) 

For me, intimacy is a spiritual experience of the mind and soul of a person connecting with a like-minded desire with another person.  God wants us to be intimate with Him everyday.  He wants us to share our dreams, fears, worries and desires with Him.  Yet we won't even share it with the Being that made us who we are.  We wonder why we struggle in our relationships. 

Intimacy doesn't require one to be a deep thinker or an excellent communicator.  It only requires transparency and openness with another soul.  It's relational not entirely physical. If you believe it doesn't exist in this form, you are deceiving yourself.  This level is intimacy is possible and real. I can't wait to blog about when I make that connection!

#IntimateMoments #SoulSearching #MindBlowing #SomeThingsAreWorthWaitingFor

No comments:

Post a Comment