Monday, July 14, 2014

Rearview Mirrors

About 14 years ago I received my first and only speeding ticket.   I was traveling a nice long stretch of highway in southeastern North Carolina near Raeford in Moore County.  It was Memorial Day and I was headed back to Greensboro.  I was driving a Chevy Tahoe and you know how those big trucks hug the road and most of the time you are going a lot faster than you think.  

While driving on an open stretch of road, I glanced in my rearview mirror and noticed a police car with flashing blue lights.  I never heard any sirens.  So, slowed down and pulled over on the shoulder.  The deputy sheriff walks up to the truck and of course asks, did I realize how fast I was going.  I replied no and noted that I was on my way home to Greensboro.  He graciously wrote me a ticket and I proceeded on my way.  

I can't tell you how long the police car had been following me.  I was focused on what was in front of me, not behind me.  I didn't look in the rearview mirror often. I really didn't need to.  My goal was to get back home.

While driving,  I tend to be more aware of what's beside me rather than behind me.  Yes, I'm a defensive driver, but I'm generally traveling on multi-lane roads where what's moving beside you is just as important as what's behind or ahead of you.

I find myself so preoccupied with what's behind me lose focus where I'm going.  I think I've missed some turns along the way because I wasn't paying attention.  I'm literally wasting gas!    

As much as I would love to yank the rear-view mirror out of my car, it does serve safety purposes.  Sometimes you need to know what's approaching you and how fast.  You may need to move out of someone's way, quickly.  Maybe, you need a quick glance to know where you came from and note the correct way to go if you have to return.

I catch myself talking about what's happened in my life and focusing my energy on the negative situations and outcomes. It's exhausting and doesn't change anything.  Just today, I realize that I still complain about some stuff that happened a year ago.  I'm so focused on what was behind me, ignoring everything going on around me.

Nothing is going to change in my life unless I do something about it. It's not healthy for me or those traveling with me. 

Stop living in the past.  You'll be stuck, going nowhere.  Focus on where you're headed and how you plan to get there.  You lose time and energy every time you turn around.

Fill up the gas tank.  Adjust your mirrors.  Most importantly, enjoy the ride.

#rearviewmirrors #payattention #enjoytheride




No comments:

Post a Comment