Friday, July 11, 2014

Terms & Conditions

Whenever I download content or install an application on my mobile device, the notorious, Terms & Conditions pops up.  In order to proceed with the purchase, download or access you must click ACCEPT OR AGREE.  If not, you automatically DECLINE and your action is aborted.

Rarely do I actually read the terms and conditions, but I gather they are all pretty standard.  I'm confident you have done the same more than once.  Did you read the terms and conditions when downloading Angry Birds or Words with Friends?  

While it may be less harmful for an app developer to gain access to your phone network, but what about your heart?  Why are we no more discriminating when it comes to relationships and marriages and simply ACCEPT any terms and conditions?  How often do we DECLINE access to certain people, behaviors and activities?

I'm learning not to accept anything or anyone in my life.  My reasons are generally driven by trust issues.  Yep, I don't trust many people. I may give you my respect but you have to earn my trust. I've been shaped and molded by my experiences. About 20 years ago, I was definitely more trusting than today.  

Looking back at those experiences I accepted others' terms and conditions but wasn't really good at setting and requiring my own.  I tended to deny myself for the sake of not hurting or losing the other person.  The result was the same, I became the broken one.

I tend to make decisions based on emotion and create unhealthy realities for myself.  I want to break the mold.  Finally.

So, now I'm learning to set terms and conditions in all of my relationships. There are some people and behaviors that I'm willing to accept and others that I will simply decline.  It's my responsibility to determine who should have access to my heart.

I trust and use God's word to set my Terms & Conditions.  You can choose to ACCEPT or DECLINE.

#termsandconditions #acceptordecline

No comments:

Post a Comment